Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Would You Pay More?

By: Erin Hall @ Boutiquing

Raised by a savvy, frugal, fashion loving mother, I was taught to shop by a motto…You can buy one thing for a hundred dollars or you can buy multiple things for a hundred dollars. Being a young girl who liked choices and variety, I would always hunt for discounts so I could buy more. Yes, I choose quantity over quality at least 98% of the time (with the exception of my first pair of acid washed Guess jeans). What I did not realize was a root ideology formed and flourished well into my late twenties. I believed, for the same amount of money, it was more righteous to buy multiple inexpensive pieces that one expensive piece.

So what did this mentality cost me? Money. Wasted money. How many times did I buy four $25 tops on sale that didn’t fit just right but I couldn’t pass up a good deal? What if I had used that same $100 to buy a perfectly cut top that made me salivate just looking at it? It is no nobler to buy clothing at a great discount than full price when all it does is give a hanger in your closet job security.

About two years ago I read a small editorial about American buying trends and my mentality changed. Through reputable data and polling it was concluded that a vast majority of shoppers justify spending when they see “Sale” or “Discount". Subconsciously, Americans are driven to buy for the fear of missing a great deal. Here is what stood out to me most and I have adopted as my personal shopping mantra: To ensure you are getting a deal, and not just buying to buy, ask yourself this simple question, “Would I pay more for this?” If your answer is YES, then you are getting a deal…if it’s No, then you are buying with the wrong motivation.


Shop wiser, not more limited is my 2009 ideology. Refrain when it is not the right piece and wait for the score, that's how great wearable wardrobes are created. Remember it comes down to personal value. Does it fit right? Can you wear it with multiple pieces? Is it unique or a one of a kind statement piece? In this economy spending strategically is very important and that includes fashion. Don’t just buy because something is on sale and don’t NOT buy because something is a little pricey. Buy with your needs and budget in mind and don't forget the question is directed at YOU personally. This is not your mom’s, your best friend or the sales associates opinion, but “would YOU pay more?”

I’ve walked away from huge mistakes and therefore had the money to later purchase some of my favorite pieces with this new mentality. I hope this helps navigate your next shopping experience and enhances your wardrobe selections.

2 comments:

  1. Erin, great post! I totally agree. I went through this in my twenties, too. What is it about our twenties? I guess I was just really broke. I would buy more shirts for the same $$, but in the end, they either wore out faster, or more often, they just didn't fit me right. So I ended up with a closet full of stuff I didn't feel comfortable in. I absolutely will not blink now at a $200 pair of jeans if I LOVE them and could throw them on at anytime and feel amazing. It is worth the $$!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree! Love the post... I think it's full of great insight!

    Thanks,
    JP
    denimdebutante.com

    ReplyDelete